Thursday, January 14, 2010

Filipino JEW

For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the SPIRIT, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from GOD. (Romans 2:28-29, NKJV)

Years ago, someone gave me the moniker Filipino Jew. i'll call her "Jaundice" -- for her eye, her point of view, was such -- jaundiced and sickly. Her mindset was ultra-worldly, and she aligned herself with the worldly generalization about Jews...negative, lop-sided and blatantly prejudiced.

At that time, i wasn't yet a born again CHRISTian and didn't know much about the history of Jews as GOD's chosen people, nor did i know much about their national heritage and culture. (Chosen people, meaning the children of the promise -- of the covenant between Abraham and JEHOVAH -- as written in the Torah -- Genesis 12:1-3, 15:1-5; the Holy Bible -- Galatians 3:8-9; and even the Qur'an -- Surah 2:83, 3:187, 5:12, 17:104, 26:59.)

But even in my ignorance, i knew that the moniker was derogatory. i was sickened inwardly, but i played along, not knowing how to reply until the next day (i was very slow with regurgitating comebacks then). Jaundice (in her own ignorance) meant it as an insult, for i was then (and still am) frugal by nature. i'm not materially wasteful (though i'm not a pack rat either) -- i am not careless with money or things, but neither am i care-full.

i still remember today how i allowed that passing comment to bother me and how that name Filipino Jew banged around the walls of my mind over and over, far into the night. The next time we met, i had a rebuttal ready: Jews in general were very intelligent with their finances, as the banking industry and business world attest to their might in the financial arena. Their love for education, their forceful drive to succeed, and their passion for their Jewish heritage are recognized worldwide, albeit grudgingly. Having said all this, i then thanked Jaundice for the backhanded "compliment."

Today, ironically, Jaundice's moniker is my Reality. i am a Filipino Jew! Romans 2:28-29 explains this conclusion:

For you are not a true Jew just because you were born of Jewish parents or because you have gone through the Jewish ceremony of circumcision. No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with GOD. And true circumcision is not a cutting of the body but a change of heart produced by GOD's SPIRIT. Whoever has that kind of change seeks praise from GOD, not from people. (Romans 2:28-29, NLT)

i may not be a Jew in the physical sense, with Jewish blood coursing through my veins -- but i am indeed a Jew in the spiritual sense -- by the shed blood of CHRIST JESUS flooding through and through the infinitesimal quarks of my bodyheart&soul. i am a Jew by adoption, through my faith in YESHUA of the Jews -- the Messiah, the Son of GOD.

Today and forever, i humbly and gratefully live my new heritage -- "Filipino Jew," In CHRIST JESUS.

4 comments:

  1. You nailed it!!!!I am an Irish-American Jew. I am of my Father God and my Savior Jesus Christ who was a Jew of the Jews. My brothers and sisters who have suffered at the hands of the haters in this world, are my own. Yes!!! Oh yes, I AM A CHILD OF THE KING! Praise His name. I love you my sister. Kathy G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathy G, for your witness and your personal ministry. May GOD continue to bless you with His supernatural power, as demonstrated through the indwelling SPIRIT enabling you to hang in there with such steadfastness and confident conviction that all is as it is today because our OMNIPOTENT Wonderful Everlasting Father GOD is in control...INDEED!!! \O/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having bad experiences and i wish i was religious, of late i told my children to go to church because I have realised that when things are bad you dont know where to turn to.you seem to have pure thoughts.
    bye and cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear Dithunya...thank you for being open. GOD is using your hard experiences to draw you to Himself. Your heart is saying, "Draw near to GOD" -- that's why you sent your kids to church...you want GOD to draw near to you and your family.

    It would encourage your kids very much, Dithunya, if you would join them in prayers and go to church with them as family. They need you to show them the way to GOD. i didn't have the knowledge of GOD until i was 47 -- and before i received CHRIST as my Savior, i went through many hard times where i tried to fix things myself -- and i failed each and every time!

    Today, i have the Holy SPIRIT of GOD as my Constant Companion to guide me and teach me the direction that GOD would have me take. In the midst of turbulence, He gives me peace and joy that helps me to rise above daily trials.

    i pray that you will talk to GOD and tell Him all that's in your heart. i pray that you will also trust in CHRIST JESUS as the only One who can deliver you from your sins. He has forgiven me much...and the burden of my many sins is gone -- and i have the confidence that my Father in heaven loves me because i am His child, through my faith in CHRIST.

    Today, i can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me -- who empowers me to walk through the hard times -- for He walks with me ALLways...all the way to forever!

    i pray that you will also open your heart to CHRIST JESUS and trust Him with your life.

    ReplyDelete